So this is it! The very first episode of the B is for Being podcast. It’s been a long time coming. I’ve been planning and preparing for this for months now, but that didn’t stop me from being sick during the recording of this episode. Please excuse all the strange swallowing noises I make.
I’ve always been fascinated by people who were just doing their thing. They wouldn’t ask anyone for permission – they were just doing what they were doing because that’s what they wanted to do.
For a long time I’ve struggled with the belief that whatever I did wasn’t good enough. It has affected almost every aspect of my life: my relationships with others, my creativity, but most significantly, the way I treated myself.
I found out that by allowing myself to just be as I am (including all of the negative thoughts) has given me the space to express myself more freely without worrying about what others will think, or whether I’m doing it right.
As a result of allowing myself to just be as I am, my friendships have deepened, my creativity flows more freely and I’ve found myself starting and finishing projects I’d only dreamed of completing in the past – the release of this podcast (and website!) being a testament to that.
Episode in a nutshell
- Putting a blanket over yourself can make things sound pretty good.
- Your fearful thoughts aren’t inherently you. They’ve been taken on board from a young age.
- The belief, ‘I’m not good enough’ affects all your interactions with others and the relationship with yourself.
- You don’t need to change or become better. You already amazing so acknowledge that.
- Allowing yourself to be as you are including any negative thoughts gives you the space to just be you.
- Listening to what feels right for yourself and acting on that allows you to feel safe and brings a sense of peace and well-being into your life.
- Living as yourself is the most important thing you can do.
I actually struggled to record this episode. Every step of the way there was a critical voice telling me, ‘Why are you doing this?’ ‘No one’s interested!’ ‘Are you crazy? Yes you’re crazy, and now people will know you’re crazy.’
There’s something pretty ironic about all that as this website is about just being yourself. But I decided to keep going and I got through it. I listened back to what I’d recorded and was surprised – it actually sounds like an introductory podcast!
If you have any questions for me or would like to give me some feedback you can head over to the Contact page.