Hi, I’m Benjamin Hammersley
I started B is for Being in 2015 when I realised my authentic self was covered by the belief, “I’m not good enough.”
I didn’t know it at the time but this belief was responsible for all of the self-denying thoughts, feelings, and actions I’d experienced since I was a child.
Because I wasn’t aware of this belief, I assumed I was a person that naturally lacked self-esteem and confidence.
I compensated for this sense of lack by:
- Engaging in people-pleasing behaviour, even at the expense of my own values and well-being.
- Trying to prove my worth to others by acquiring external achievements, status, or awards.
These behaviours left me feeling fake, vulnerable, and exhausted. I had no sense of who I was deep inside.
At the age of 27, I reached a breaking point where these behaviours had become dysfunctional and were causing me a lot of mental and emotional pain. I started paying attention to the negative thoughts and feelings inside me. Each time they came up I would do my best to meet them with compassion and acceptance.
Through this practice, I experienced a dramatic shift in my self-esteem and confidence levels. The limiting belief, “I’m not good enough” had begun to soften.
As this belief began to soften, I experienced an effortless sense of calm and my authentic self naturally rose to the surface.
This was just the beginning of my journey!
Why I Created B is for Being
I created B is for Being to share my experience and help others identify and heal their own limiting beliefs.
There are three main sections to this site:
- Podcast: Conversations with friends, psychologists, and thought leaders about the most effective tools and practices for healing limiting beliefs.
- Slow Video: Gentle videos for rest and reflection when life feels rough.
- Blog: An open journal of my journey as I explore my limiting beliefs and the tools for healing.
The watercolour design featured in the B is for Being logo was kindly provided by Stephen P. Loya.