A short episode outlining the benefits of recording the compliments we receive.
I didn’t expect that writing down the compliments I received would have such a great effect on my self-worth and provide me with a source of support during times of intense self-doubt.
In this episode, I let you know why I started keeping a compliments journal and how it’s allowed me to receive the nice things people say about me, while simultaneously reducing my bias towards self-negativity.
Click on a time marker to hear the full podcast
I Have a Hard Time Receiving Compliments 01:15
- After I had started keeping a compliments journal, I found it became easier to accept the compliments given to me.
- I would diminish the value of compliments I received by saying, “Other people can do the same thing. I’m not that special.”
- By doing that, I’m telling the other person that I am not receiving their compliment. I do this because I don’t feel worthy of receiving such high praise.
Challenging My Level of Self-Worth 02:31
- I carry a lot of self-worth in certain areas of my life, but in others, my level of self-worth feels very low.
- In areas of low self-worth, it’s very difficult for me to accept compliments from others.
- I confront my current level of self-worth every time I write down a compliment.
- It felt awkward when I first started writing compliments down. However, the act of writing down a compliment began to familiarise me to receive them.
How to Keep a Compliments Journal 04:23
- I recommend writing down the compliments in a small notebook.
- Write down every compliment you receive.
- When you receive a compliment, write down:
- The compliment
- Who gave it to you
- The context in which you received the compliment
- The date
Why I Started Keeping a Compliments Journal 06:00
- When the level of my negative self-talk became too much for me, I decided something needed to change.
- I realised I wouldn’t tolerate someone else talking so negatively to me, so why do I talk that way to myself?
- At that point, keeping a compliments journal seemed like a good choice to address my self-negativity.
The Benefits 07:22
- There are multiple benefits which begin to occur as a result of keeping a compliments journal.
- Your current level of self-worth will be challenged and expanded.
- When you’re going through self-doubt, it serves as a potent reminder of the value you already have inside you.
- It balances out a bias towards self-negativity by also reminding you of the positive things people are saying about you.
Mentioned in This Episode
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron